Wednesday, August 22, 2012

3. 2. 1. Launch!

I feel like a kid about to attend his first day of college all over again. In just a few short days I will be transported from the wonderful Bay Area to the Holy Land. The journey to this point in my life has been long and winding, and the process has been anything but easy--but at long last things are falling into place. While in Israel as an Israel Teaching Fellow (one of MASA's new programs), I will teach English, learn Hebrew, volunteer in the community, and explore a country that I have admired from afar most of my life.

This enterprise represents an opportunity combining my love of teaching with my adventurous personality. An unmatched opportunity to learn about both the world and myself. A chance to gain perspective from outside the American classroom. A life changing experience.

And as bold as I may be, I am fortuitous enough to have my good friend Amy Wolfish along for the ride. Filled with anxiety about acceptance and a frantic dash to get everything accomplished in just a few days, it has been very reassuring that a little bit of home will be traveling abroad with me. 

Throughout the year this shall be the record of my adventures. I plan to post at least once a week (although I can't guarantee that will be the case) with information about my program, my travels, and my personal growth. This trip marks my first long-term venture away from the comfort of the United States, and I look forward to every minute of it.

1 comment: