Tuesday, April 16, 2013

American Intifada

Yesterday was Yom HaZikaron here in Israel and for the Jewish people all around the world. The annual Remembrance Day stands to commemorate all those who have fallen while fighting for Israel, be that as a soldier in battle or a civilian in a terrorist attack. We spent the afternoon at Mount Herzl, cemetery covering an entire mountain in Jerusalem, which is the site where many of Israel's leaders and soldiers have been buried since Independence in 1948--unfortunately leaving it lush with the graves of tens of thousands of brave souls.

But the solemness day has a silver lining in that it leads directly into Israeli Independence Day, a celebration thick with fireworks and joyfulness. I have been looking forward to this pairing of days almost since arriving in the Holy Land in late August last year--but I will not be celebrating this year.

Checking my Facebook around 1 a.m. my news feed was wrought with prayers for those in Boston. Confused, I soon found a rapidly growing number of articles covering the horrific act of terror that shredded the peaceful nature of the worlds oldest annual marathon--an event that flaunts champions of numerous charitable causes and personal heroes. As someone who has friends who undertook the Jerusalem Half-Marathon a few months back, I know the courage those runners possess is inspiring. Unfortunately that strength was put to the test yesterday.

My heart is broken, looking to my country from halfway across the world and seeing it enveloped in flames. When I decided to live in Israel for the year, many close friends told me to be careful, watch for suspicious people, to stay safe. It seems I should have left them with the same advice. I am transported back to the era of Israel's intifada-period, where acts of terror via suicide bombings were a weekly occurrence on buses and in cafes. People were afraid to spend a night at the clubs, or even to ride the local line to work. Fear gripped the nation but never broke their resolve.

Tears fill my eyes as I browse the  gruesome pictures from the scene. But those pictures also immortalize the heroic acts of the first responders and civilians leaping into danger to save lives. Whether offering their belt as a tourniquette or welcoming a displaced runner into their home, the strength of the Bostonian and American people is staggering.

Since leaving the United States months ago it seems Americans have been thrust into disarray. We must find some way to find peace among ourselves once again, to put an end to these violent shootings and terrorist bombings. Comedian Patton Oswalt wrote that the number of good people on this Earth more than exponentially outnumber the evil, and that we shall prevail over the darkness inside that minority--I cannot agree more. We must join together, as the brave people of Boston have, to prevent such injustices from recurring. My heart and prayers go out to all those affected by this tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment